Radford University is a public research university located in Radford, Virginia, United States. The university was founded in 1910 as the State Normal and Industrial School for Women at Radford. It became a four-year degree-granting institution in 1964 and was renamed Radford College. The school achieved university status in 1979 and its name was changed to Radford University.
The history of education in Virginia is intricately entwined with that of Radford University. The state of Virginia made a deliberate effort to develop and enhance its public education system in the late 19th and early 20th century. The state developed a number of normal schools as part of this initiative with the goal of preparing teachers for the public schools. One of these schools was the State Normal and Industrial School for Women in Radford.
When the school first opened its doors in 1910, it was housed in the former Radford High School structure. It was founded as a two-year college with a study curriculum leading to a teaching certificate. The institution’s initial goal was to meet the requirements of the local women, but eventually it started to accept male students as well.
The school had a number of alterations and additions throughout the 1930s and 1940s. It started to provide a larger selection of academic programs and started awarding bachelor’s degrees in some disciplines. In 1964, it adopted the name Radford College as well.
Radford College started to transform into a full-fledged university in the 1970s. It started conducting research in several sectors and added a number of new academic programs and departments. The institution’s name was changed to Radford University in 1979.
With a focus on teaching and learning, Radford University is now a comprehensive public research institution. More than 100 undergraduate and graduate degree programs in a variety of disciplines, such as the arts, sciences, education, business, nursing, and engineering, are available at this institution. More than 10,000 diverse students attend the university, which is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. It is situated in the New River Valley of southwest Virginia on a lovely 180-acre campus.